[U-Boot] extracting u-boot version from Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 19 09:50:43 CET 2010

Dear "Parks, Derek",

In message <821B2170E9E7F04FA38DF7EC21DE487119EF645A at VCAEXCH01.hq.corp.viasat.com> you wrote:

> I have an c++ application that needs to display various versions of
> system components; u-boot, kernel, O/S flavor, hardware and software
> versions.  I'm struggling with getting the u-boot version and ask for
> your help.  My ideal situation is to have U-boot report (somehow) to
> Linux it's version number and have Linux store it in environment
> variables.  Any thoughts?

When CONFIG_VERSION_VARIABLE is set in your board config file, then
U-Boot will set the "ver" envrionment variable to the current version
ID string. If you run "saveenv" at least once, then you can read this
string from the U-Boot environment under Linux, using the fw_getenv
tool / function provided in tools/env/ .

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Everyting looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it's  just
another job.                     - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_