[U-Boot] Linux Kernel without Ethernet (missed MAC)

Arno Steffen arno.steffen at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:33:32 CET 2010

2010/1/19 Daniel Gorsulowski <Daniel.Gorsulowski at esd.eu>:
> On ARM, I solved that problem as follows:
>
> 1. Add "ethaddr=$(ethaddr)" to your kernel command line. e.g.:
>   mem=128M console=ttyS0,115200n8 ethaddr=$(ethaddr)
>
> 2. Apply this patch on linux kernel (approved on v2.6.31):

Thanks for this idea. I checked the kernel and set in
file smsc911x.c in function smc911x_reset()
	dev->dev_addr[0] = 0
to get valid (but not my mac address).

Nevertheless I would prefer to patch the uboot instead of kernel.
What I don't understand is: MAC (that is set in uboot - at least if I
do a tftp) will disapear.
Is it cleaned up by uboot? Somehow it has worked before ...

Or the other way around: What is the current valid and recommended way
to pass mac from uboot to kernel? It should work without patches.