[U-Boot] [Request for Help] Building Linux for embedded x86 - Where to start

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 04:03:29 CET 2010

Hello All,

I am now at the point with my x86 board where everything that needs to be
implemented in U-Boot has been done. Its been a lot of work, a lot of it
very frustrating and annoying, but all well worth it - For me at least,
and I hope for U-Boot in general and for anyone else that goes looking for
information I've dug up to date.

Now for the 'Next Big Step' - Getting Linux running on my board. I notice
the ELDK does not support x86, so I was wondering if anyone here has any
prior experience getting Linux running on an embedded x86 environment.

I notice that there is some BIOS code lying around in the original x86 port
of U-Boot which (I think) is supposed to make the embedded environment look
more like a real PC environment. I would prefer not to do this - it looks
like other architectures have much better ways of passing hardware
information to the kernel.

But maybe I am getting ahead of myself - where is the best place for me to
start? I've had a quick look at Open Embedded - Is this the best place to
continue my quest?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

Graeme