[U-Boot] (imp) uboot image size

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 14 22:37:43 CEST 2010

Dear Sagar Heroorkar,

In message <AANLkTikU-szcraLAd6kmsYneZWPQH2uQnFmFcTyyugZl at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I changed the TEXT_BASE to implement the uboot redundancy. I got in to
> problem of having image size.
>
> See this:
>

> I am planning to implement uboot redundancy.
> This means having the following idea which we thought.
>
> Golden-Uboot which is flashed in the NOR-FLASH. This is not field
> upgradable.
> This golden uboot is going to have logic to pick the other uboot based on
> certain flags or env vriables
>
> As i mentioned i wanted the uboot to be redundant.
> So i will have 2 copies of uboot now.
> Uboot1
> Uboot2
>
> Golden uboot will pick either of one uboots mentioned above. If the uboot1
> which is picked fails to boot, then we will have uboot2 as back up to boot.
> vice versa.

You are miscounting. You are talking about 3 (three) instances (not
copies, as these will NOT be identical copies) of U-Boot here.

> Golden uboot recides in the address fffa0000 (start.s).
> There is a relocation code which copies the code from flash to ram. if the
> uboot which i have picked addressess will change , hence how can i do the
> relocation?

Frankly, you should try and get a better understanding of the innards
of U-Boot before trying to implement such a relatively complicated
feature.

Instead of trying to use "copies" of the normal U-Boot images, you
probably want to look into the equivalent of second-stage images as
used for example with NAND-booting systems.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.
                                                 -- Benjamin Franklin