[U-Boot] Rescue /alternative boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 8 20:19:13 CEST 2010

Dear Arno Steffen,

In message <AANLkTik0YOONY62q_egSFsTn1nLcQ17yCi_E7bkrief0 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I would like to have some rescue boot, if flashing of
> uboot-environment, kernel or filesystem fails.

Why should "flashing of uboot-environment" fail? If you configure for
redundant environment, you should always at least have the previous
copy of the settings).

As for the rest, kernel and file system, these are application data
from U-Boot's point of view, and you can use any method to update
these - alternate copies stored in flash and toggled with environment
variables, automatic update from USB mass storage devices, automatic
updates from TFTP server etc. - Have a look at the manual for details.

> My idea is to check a certain port (eth) for some time and if I
> receive a defined string not to continue the ususal boot process but
> execute some into uboot compiled bootcmds.

Why inventing another (square?) wheel when there are already several
other options available?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.
	-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3259.2