[U-Boot] Updating YAFFS2 RootFS

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 28 14:55:50 CEST 2010

Dear "David Andrey",

In message <1OTDDq-0001LY-6O at wolf.netmodule.com> you wrote:

> >If you have a network connection an can download the images through
> >TFTP, then why do you need the "Images Partition" at all? You
> >coulinstall the downloaded images directly.
>
> For restore purposes.

As mentioned: you can do that, but I would not recommend it.

> > If I were in your place, I would probably use the spoace rather to
> have space
> > for a second root file system, so I can always install into an
> > alternative partition while keeping the old (working copy) in place.
> > Even if an update fails permanently for some reason (like corrupted
> > images on the server) you can then still fall back to the old version.
>
> Is plan B. Compressed RootFS still take less space.

Use a file system type which supports compression?

> The YAFFS2 code in U-Boot is the one released in 2007. Do you plan any
> update in some near future ?

I am not aware of any such plans. Patches are welcome.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What is wanted is not the will to believe,  but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite.
		        -- Bertrand Russell, "Skeptical Essays", 1928