[U-Boot] U-Boot "public API" example desired

jimc at sdateam.com jimc at sdateam.com
Fri May 7 00:29:44 CEST 2010

 I appreciate the answer, I think this topic has been discussed
several times, so thanks for spending time re-visiting it once again.
 I have looked at both the examples/standalone code and the
README.standalone. I have also seen
 1)
http://old.nabble.com/-U-Boot--How-to-get-GPL-free-standalone-programs-with-u-boot-td27182861.html
[1]
 2) http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-August/058650.html [2]
 3) http://osdir.com/ml/boot-loaders.u-boot/2003-11/msg00072.html [3]
 4) http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd.embedded/2008-01/msg00019.html [4]
 5)
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A--U-Boot--How-to-get-GPL-free-standalone-programs-with-u-boot-p27338654.html
[5]
 Some of these are forums, rather that mailing lists, I apologize for
not being specific in my previous message.
 The part that is not clear to me is if a conclusion has ever been
reached as to the availability of a set of GPL-free headers that can
be included in a stand-alone application. I think the GPL is quite
valuable, but there are situations involving closed-source software
where GPL licensed source files must be avoided (I'm sure this is news
to nobody). Has such a set of GPL-free headers been developed, or must
I develop them myself if I want to use them?
 In 5) above, you write
 >In message  you wrote:
 >>
 >> I have a question concerning standalone programs based on u-boot
and
 >> GPL, since I'm not really sure whether the way how the u-boot
source
 >> files are set up allows GPL free standalone programs.
 >
 >This is the intention; if the current code or documentation should
 >conflict with this intention, it should be fixed.
 and
 >"exports.h" should be added to the "allowed" file list; there
should
 >be no need to include "common.h". Eventually this needs fixing.
 >Patches are welcome.
 In the latest U-Boot sources, this issue seems to still exist;
headers available for inclusion in stand-alone application seem to
include the GPL license language. I can't find equivalent headers that
are "GPL-free", but maybe I am looking in the wrong place. This last
comment includes mention of the "allowed" file list; I can't locate
anything of this nature either.
 Again, thank you for your time and best regards,
 Jim