[U-Boot] *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Nick Thompson nick.thompson at ge.com
Wed May 19 17:24:32 CEST 2010

On 18/05/10 08:11, anup behare wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While using u-boot for ppc440 based board we are getting "*** Warning - bad
> CRC, using default environment" message.
> On denx site we came to know that message is printed because the flash
> sector or ERPROM containing the environment variables has never been
> initialized yet.

That is not quite true. It is one reason, true, but it could also occur
if your data has become corrupted and your CRC no longer matches.

In the latter case you will be glad of the warning because either your
H/W is flaking out or you have accidentally overwritten the env area
while writing to FLASH/EEPROM/Whatever. You need to know when these things
happen and that's what the warning is for.

Just do a saveenv and hope you never see the warning again :)

Nick.