[U-Boot] Standalone/ Derivative work

Mark Fanara mark.fanara at gmail.com
Tue May 25 21:39:18 CEST 2010

We plan on using uboot it to boot an embedded application (no OS) from
flash memory. We would like to extend uboot to be able to download a
new application program via a proprietary dual-port memory interface
(custom serial protocol implemented in FPGA). My reading of the GPL
suggests that adding this type of functionality directly to uboot
would be considered a derivative work thus requiring the submission of
the code, regardless of the usefulness of the extension to anyone
else. Is my understanding correct?

In order to avoid this GPL compliance issue, is it
permissible/possible to add a stand alone program (i.e. hello world)
that would be run automatically at startup. The standalone program we
be conceptually similar to bootp. Should the custom standalone program
not find software to load, we would want uboot to resume control of
the system and continue trying to boot from flash memory. Is this
consistent with the intent of the stand alone program support?

Any other feedback or suggestions are is/are welcome.

Mark