[U-Boot] [RFC] arm926ejs: fix jump to RAM nand_boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 09:02:36 CET 2010

Dear "V, Aneesh",

In message <FF55437E1F14DA4BAEB721A458B6701706FD313705 at dbde02.ent.ti.com> you wrote:

> Shouldn't we provide a CONFIG option by which users can disable
> Elf relocation?

Why should we?  It would just make the code even more complicated, and
require a lot of additional test cases.

> On production systems you know exactly how much memory you have.
> Relocation may not be very useful. On the other hand faster boot is a
> bigger concern. Shouldn't we support this case?

If time in your concern, then did you measure the time the relocation
costs you?  How long is it on your system?

Please be aware that a whole number of other features depend on doing
real relocation. Also, it brings us a lot closer to use common code
across architectures, instead of having to maintain several different
(and differently behaving) implementations.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If programming was easy, they wouldn't need something as  complicated
as a human being to do it, now would they?
                       - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_