[U-Boot] [WIP] tools/env: cleanup host build flags

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 23:12:51 CET 2010

On 2010-11-10, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Mike Frysinger,
>
> In message <201011100423.13449.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:
>>
>> > - use the cross compiler again (fw_printenv is intended for a
>> >   hosted environment on the target).
>>
>> the cross-compiler used to create u-boot has no guarantee that it'll produce
>> executables useful for the target OS.  often this isnt the case.  HOSTCC
>
> Really? You mean, you need different tool chains to build U-Boot, the
> Linux kernel or user space applications?  Frankly, I consider those
> tool chains broken.

Sounds like somethings broken to me as well. I've always used the same
toolchain for U-Boot, Kernel, Atmel bootstrap, and user-space stuff
(vis buildroot).

The only think I use a separate toolchain for are Atmel's "applets"
that are part of the SAM-BA utility -- and that's only because I'm too
lazy to fix Atmel's Makefiles so they call the compiler with the
proper flags.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Are we THERE yet?
                                  at