[U-Boot] MPC8377: USB breaks board

Andre Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Mon Nov 15 11:43:26 CET 2010

On 11/11/2010 01:24 PM, Andre Schwarz wrote:
> Kim, Timur,
>
> some comments on this from your side would really help !
>

> The issue can be summarized like this :
>
> - MPC8377 based board is basically running fine with both U-Boot and Linux.
> - Activating USB support within U-Boot leads to *very* early crash :
>        No console output - not even PCI clocks enabled.
> - Within Linux USB is working without problems, i.e. there's no hardware
> issue.
>
> I have an SMSC USB3300 PHY connected via ULPI and a self powered SMSC
> 2514 1:4 Hub.
> This is exactly the same as on mvblm7 board (=MPC8343).
>
> This behaviour reminds me of e.g. one or more missing sync instructions
> during early init as discussed with Jocke in the past weeks.
>
> It is very unlikely that I'm the only one facing this problem.

got it - line 330 in arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc83xx/cpu_init.c does some EHCI
configs masked by

#ifndef CONFIG_MPC834x

Removing this makes the board work again.

It still hangs during "usb start" but this is most propably due to
missing initialization.

Will have a look and send a proper patch.

After all I do like mondays ;-)

Cheers,
André

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner