[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Sat Oct 2 10:10:13 CEST 2010

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,
>> I try to understand how the relocation process could handle pointers (to
>> functions or other data) in const or data sections.
>> Your code cannot know what is data and what is a pointer that needs
>> adjustment?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Reinhard
>
> Hi Reinhart,
>
> Short answer - the relocation process does not handle pointers inside
> data structures.
>
> And yes, this means the content arrays of pointers such as init_sequence
> is not relocated. Been there, done that, can give you one of the
> tee-shirts I got :)
>
> ATM I have not found a way to fix this, except making the code which
> uses the pointers aware that the are location-sensitive and fix them
> when using them.

That means that things like this cannot work (with relocation),
unless adding the relocation offset before using the pointer:

const struct {
	const u8 shift;
	const u8 idcode;
	struct spi_flash *(*probe) (struct spi_slave *spi, u8 *idcode);
} flashes[] = {
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_SPANSION
	{ 0, 0x01, spi_flash_probe_spansion, },
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_ATMEL
	{ 0, 0x1F, spi_flash_probe_atmel, },
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_MACRONIX
	{ 0, 0xc2, spi_flash_probe_macronix, },
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_WINBOND
	{ 0, 0xef, spi_flash_probe_winbond, },
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_STMICRO
	{ 0, 0x20, spi_flash_probe_stmicro, },
	{ 0, 0xff, spi_flash_probe_stmicro, },
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FLASH_SST
	{ 0, 0xBF, spi_flash_probe_sst, },
#endif
#ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FRAM_RAMTRON
	{ 6, 0xc2, spi_fram_probe_ramtron, },
# ifdef CONFIG_SPI_FRAM_RAMTRON_NON_JEDEC
	{ 0, 0xff, spi_fram_probe_ramtron, },
# endif
# undef IDBUF_LEN
# define IDBUF_LEN 9 /* we need to read 6+3 bytes */
#endif
};

And I think there are more places of this type in u-boot...

Best Regards,
Reinhard