[U-Boot] ppc4xx:DDR SDRAM test

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Oct 5 14:30:09 CEST 2010

Hi Tim,

On Tuesday 05 October 2010 12:12:19 Tim Rachman wrote:
> I ported u-boot-2009-11  to my custom board using ppc440EP processor.

Hmmm. Already nearly one year old. I suggest to update to the latest release.

> changed amcc/bamboo BSP to run u-boot on my board.

Autsch. You should never "change" an existing board port, but instead create
your own custom board port. Of course an existing one can always be the basis
for this. This way you can submit your changes to mainline U-Boot and your
custom board port will be in sync with the U-Boot updates.

> I have some Questions and any suggestion can help me:
> 	1. Is mtest command is sufficient for DDR SDRAM testing?

No. SDRAM problems are hard to spot. Most memory testing routines can't spot
all problems. One very good test-case is to run Linux on the board and compile
a Linux kernel mounted via NFS. This has proven to show most SDRAM related
problems.

> 	2. what is data cache status in mtest?

That's architecture specific. Currently most PPC4xx board (and bamboo as well)
don't enable i-cache and d-cache in SDRAM locations.

> 	3. for DDR SDRAM full test, I wrote a function to generate random data
and
> address test patterns, using random()function in stdlib.h but there is a
> compilation error " stdlib.h: No such file or directory"
>  when stdlib.h is included in bamboo.c

There is no stdlib.h in U-Boot.

Cheers,
Stefan