[U-Boot] Fwd: Help with replacing u-boot and kernel on a released HW...

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Oct 15 18:01:11 CEST 2010

Hi Naresh,

> I am not able to attach the files. But they haven't been changed from
> the original versions so hopefully, I still can be helped!

Can't you use a different mailer?  Attaching files without using base64
isn't all _that_ hard.

[...]

> Subject: Help with replacing u-boot and kernel on a released HW...
> Hi List,
>
> I have a monta-vista linux based smartphone (Garmin Asus G60). It runs
> u-boot and kernel 2.6.21. Since it is a released HW and from the
> u-boot code, I can see that there are no ways to stop the existing
> u-boot to boot the default kernel installed. There is a possibility to
> do a region update from the memory card on boot-up. Looking at the
> code, there is also a possibility to do a recover region i.e.
> according to the comment it says, download Garmin region from USB.
> Both the above methods basically run the same command "tffs_load 3
> 0x80007FC0;bootm 0x80007FC0". The tffs_load is attached in the email.

To even start to help you, I'd need to understand better how the
"regular" boot process works and what you try to achieve.  From the
informatino you provide, I cannot infer this.

> I have tried to put a bootable .bin file with a modified u-boot and
> kernel but it does not seem to get loaded. I have tried loading the
> kernel at 0x80007FC0, 0x80000000 and 0x0. I am out of ideas on how I
> could get the modified u-boot and kernel on the device. Any pointers
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Just to be clear on how I create the bootable .bin:
> - Compile u-boot for montana board (used for this device)

In mainline I cannot find a "montana" board.  What sources do you use?

> - Compile the kernel with montana_dev_defconfig and some kernel debug
> options enabled

Also in the Linux kernel I cannot find such a configuration.

> - Generate a bootable image from vmlinux with different load address
> configurations as described above
> - cat u-boot.bin and the bootable image to form a .bin file
> - Place the file on the sdcard and re-boot.
>
> I am now out of ideas. BTW, the HW consists of OMAP2430 and associated
> components with an Ericsson U360 modem. I am attaching the montana.h
> file for further reference which will give some overview of the G60
> HW. My final goal is to load Android on this device but for that I
> need new u-boot and modified kernel to get loaded first.

Whoever came up with the "montana.h" file may be in a better position to
help you.  Do you know who that was?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
C hasn't changed much since the 1970s. And let's face it it's ugly.
Can't we do better? C++? (Sorry, never mind.)