[U-Boot] 36-bits U-Boot

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Fri Oct 22 15:45:01 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Leif Sörman <leif.sorman at enea.com> wrote:
> I want to have ram memory above 4G on a freescale p4080 board since I want to test that 36-bits physical addressing is working, my board has two 2G dimm mounted.

We've tested up to 8GB on a P4080DS.

> The standard 32-bits u-boot on the board says that it can only handle memory less than 4G.
>
> I have managed to flashed a 36-bits u-boot to the board and now I realized that the 36-bits u-boot
>
> put the two gigs memory below 4G.

The purpose of a 36-bit U-Boot is so that you can have more than 2GB
of RAM.  I/O devices are placed above 4GB.

> Is it possible to change something in u-boot so it put one of the memory device above 4G?

Not really.  U-Boot's internal design has quite a few dependencies on
having memory starting at address 0.  Also, getting the Linux kernel
to boot at an address other than 0 is difficult.

Also, even if you have 8GB of memory, it's hard to get Linux to
allocate memory above the 4GB range.

> I think a better solution for me would be to replace the two memory devices with two 4 gigs devices.

Yes, I agree.

> Does u-boot support larger devices?

Yes.  The latest upstream U-Boot supports 4GB DDR and maybe even 8GB DDR.

> Maybe it's only to put the larger memory in and everything works.

It should.

> This message, including attachments, is CONFIDENTIAL. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you received this email by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone.

You really should not include messages like these when you send email
to a public mailing list.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale