[U-Boot] 83xx fails to boot with moderately sized kernels

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 10 13:18:55 CEST 2010

Dear "Ira W. Snyder",

In message <20100909225241.GI3496 at ovro.caltech.edu> you wrote:

> On most (all?) 83xx boards, CONFIG_SYS_BOOTMAPSZ is set to 8MB. The comment
> says:
> Does anyone know the true maximum value for CONFIG_SYS_BOOTMAPSZ on Linux
> (if one even exists)?

The CONFIG_SYS_BOOTMAPSZ thing is as old as U-Boot and PPCBoot
exists, i. e. well over a decade. IIRC there was such a limitation on
the then current 2.2.13 Linux kernels, at least on MPC8xx and PPC40x
systems, which is where all started from.

I am pretty sure that as long as nobody ran into any problems, nobody
looked into that code, so it was copied from architecture to
architecture without much thinking, if any.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I can call spirits from the vasty deep."
"Why so can I, or so can any man; but will they come when you do call
for them?"          - Shakespeare, 1 King Henry IV, Act III, Scene I.