[U-Boot] Davinci DM365 custom design : Problem when reading uBoot environment variables

Reda MIMOUNE reda.mimoune at easii-ic.com
Wed Sep 15 18:21:11 CEST 2010

Hello all uboot mailist members

First of all, i am new to uboot coding, though i am a user of uboot on many platforms (so without knowing how it is done). So for a custom design, i had to dig inside the uboot code to adapt to a DaVinci board we have built.
I use uBoot version 1.3.4 which is used by TI for many designs which I started from.
I have customized the <board>.h file to include all "define" I could need i the source code I explored. The first difficulty was to get the environment saved in the right place in the NAND memory, so that my development can begin on it really. I cannot only use the default environment and recompile uboot and reflash...etc.. each time i need to change an environment parameter. So I stick to my problem.
The code told parameters were saved.
But when I reset the board, the message is *** Warning bad CRC or NAND. the zone was set to a NAND block size of 128KB (since it is mandatory to be the same size).
I put some debug messages to find out that the read_env function used returns an error because of my environment variables block is bad. This i cannot understand since it wrote data in the right block.

To widen the problem I choose to double the environment size to 256KB. It is still the same.
I typed the "nand bad " at prompt and my blocks + the bad block tables were marked as bad ! is that normal that BBT are marked bad ?

So for the moment i try to remove this bad character from my block by trying to erase all the nand, and using nand scrub. And this is always the same.
I run out of solutions now, so that i ask for some debugging ideas about this issue. I will probably try to check if the saveenv worked properly (despite the lack of error messages).

Thanks to all of you
Reda