[U-Boot] Policy for checkpatch usage?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Apr 21 16:24:32 CEST 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

> Dear Graeme Russ,
>
> In message <BANLkTimdJkETWEOrJFuxq4hN8gG+DvY=-A at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> What about my other suggestion - A checkpatch summary with an expalation
>> for any warnings or errors? See for example my heads-up for checkpatch
>> warnings - http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2011-April/090144.html
>
> For issues like this one should do what the last lines of the
> checkpatch output say: "If any of these errors are false positives
> report them to the maintainer, see CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS."

But as I showed, we already know that we do have false positives in
U-Boot as we miss some Linux constructs.  We should refrain from taking
this as "false positives" to the checkpatch maintainers.  Either we can
suppress them somehow or maybe we should list them?

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuit-
able for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and ad-