[U-Boot] repurposing uboot's console UART after booting

CAIannello caiannello at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 03:03:46 CEST 2011

Hi Everybody.

I'm fooling around with a Kindle 3G. I have it setup so I can SSH to it via
Wifi, and I can also get a shell through the "accessory port" which happens
to be the UART (ttymxc0) that U-Boot uses for console IO.

After booting, I would like to use this UART for other things besides shells
and U-Boot status.  I want to attach custom peripherals to it instead.

I tried killing the ttymxc0's shell process from my ssh session, but another
one pops right up.

In case its not obvious, I'm new to linux, but eager to learn.  If possible,
I'd rather not rebuild/reinstall U-boot on this device.  Instead, I would
like to try to make U-Boot release the UART programatically after booting.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Craig