[U-Boot] [ RFC ] fastboot protocol support in u-boot

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Tue Aug 16 22:44:16 CEST 2011

Hello.

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 13:44, John Rigby wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Stefan Schmidt
> <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm still curious though if there are practical needs for both
> > fastboot and DFU enabled.
> >
> My only point was that I would rather DFU, Fastboot, USBSerial and any
> other potential users of MUSB or other gadget usb hw not be written in
> a way that it is the only consumer of the hw.  I should be able to
> choose at config time which I will potentially use and at run time
> which I actually use.  That way the same u-boot.bin could be used with
> DFU one day and Fastboot another without rebuilding and reinstalling.

For something like USB serial or USB ethernet I fully agree with
having it written in a way we use it together with fastboot and or
DFU.

If I remember correctly (On vacation, to lazy to check the code) we
had the setup with USB serial running. The device started u-boot up
with USB serial and DFU in run-time mode offering the additional
interface. You could then connect via serial to u-boot and once you
triggered the switch to DFU mode with dfu-util on the host we switched
to full DFU mode and USB serial was gone.

In addition to that we can offer a configuration to enter the DFU
directly when a button is pressed during startup or such.

So in summary I agree with your idea having the possibility to enable
more then one. Just having DFU and fastboot enabled together made me
wondering. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt