[U-Boot] [RFC] New init sequence processing without init_sequence array

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 24 14:49:51 CEST 2011

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <CALButCK=hN8VBmu+8EzVq7UhFFASrj_ZjN_Yz8WQT0QnXjLoog at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Agreed.  I should have written: I have a _readable_ source file that
> > can be parsed without additional tools.
>
> I would hardly call 'grep' an extra tool - How many programmers do you
> know that have never used grep?

That's not the point.  There is a significant difference between seeng
the source code in your favorite editor or in the source code window
of your debugger's GUI or even some IDE,  versus having to run
additional commands in a separate window.

> And by defining #DEBUG I can have a parallel list of function names so when
> the loop picks up the next funtion pointer, it picks up the name as well
> ready to examine before stepping in - OK, not ideal, but still, I think
> the flexibility to seamlessly inject init functions at the board level
> outweighs this

Sorry, but when reading the source code or when revioewing patches I
cannot paick up any next funtion pointers, I'm stuck with reading the
source code only.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching  should,  therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offence.
          -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5