[U-Boot] Cannot access a FAT filesystem in an El-Torito partition

Moffett, Kyle D Kyle.D.Moffett at boeing.com
Mon Dec 19 21:21:13 CET 2011

The U-Boot FAT driver appears to manually check for the existence of
an MS-DOS partition table, even when CONFIG_DOS_PARTITION is present
and working.

As a result, it is not possible to use the FAT driver on an ISO9660
El-Torito boot volume, because it does not have a DOS MBR and does
not pass the magic number check.

It looks like the code in the FAT driver to check DOS MBRs is just
legacy code from before libpart existed, and I would like to remove
it, except several board configs seem to set CONFIG_CMD_FAT but do
not set CONFIG_DOS_PARTITION:
  include/configs/dbau1x00.h
  include/configs/mv88f6281gtw_ge.h
  include/configs/hymod.h
  include/configs/LANTEC.h
  include/configs/gth2.h
  include/configs/dreamplug.h
  include/configs/lacie_kw.h
  include/configs/dockstar.h
  include/configs/omap3_evm_common.h
  include/configs/guruplug.h
  include/configs/rd6281a.h
  include/configs/ep8260.h
  include/configs/sheevaplug.h

Can I just modify those board configs to set CONFIG_DOS_PARTITION
and remove the duplicated FAT-specific partition-table probing
code or is there something else I should do?

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Curious about my work on the Debian powerpcspe port?
I'm keeping a blog here: http://pureperl.blogspot.com/