[U-Boot] U-Boot newbie needs help!

Alex alexlnx2011 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:36:15 CET 2011

Hi,
If I am not using the correct method for asking a question I apologize. I am very new to Linux and embedded system and I am still having a hard time with basic stuff. Hopefully I'll get there someday...

I am trying to learn this PC104 board from MPL MIP405 and I am going through the process of building a crosstool chain (crosstool-ng). I believe I accomplished this today. Now I am trying to build the u-boot image and transfer to the board using tftpboot command. I am following the instructions but I am getting the following error:

=> tftpboot 400000 u-boot.img
ENET Speed is 100 Mbps - FULL duplex connection
TFTP from server 192.168.5.1; our IP address is 192.168.5.2
Filename 'u-boot.img'.
Load address: 0x400000
done
Bytes transferred = 155238 (25e66 hex)
Automatic boot of image at addr 0x00400000 ...
## Booting image at 00400000...
   Image Name:   U-Boot 1.1.4 MIP405 released
   Created:      2005-09-13  15:28:20 UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC U-Boot Firmware (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    155174 Bytes = 151.5 kB
   Load Address: fff80000
   Entry Point: 00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
Wrong Image Type for tftpboot command

I also tried to transfer a u-boot.img file that is provided on the MPL website and obtained the same result as above. I was wondering if this could be a problem with the toolchain that I created. Or maybe I am not building the u-boot.img the proper way. I am sure it is a newbie mistake.

I am not sure if you require any more specific information about the setup to provide an answer. If so, please let me know.

Alex

Command used:
make MIP405_config
make
tools/mkimage -A ppc -O u-boot -T firmware -C none -a fff80000 -e 0 -n 'U-Boot for MIP405' -d u-boot.bin u-boot.img