[U-Boot] Boot Count Limit Feature Query

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 18 15:36:24 CET 2011

Dear "Sean Preston",

In message <008901cbb715$9a371b10$cea55130$@pfk.co.za> you wrote:

> I am working with a TI Davinci DM365 and would love to use the boot count
> limit feature for a product that we are working on but the docs state it is
> only supported by Power Architecture processors.  Could someone please

The fact that so far mostly (or only? don't know) PPC systems use this
is that environments where such a feature is needed or useful often
have pretty strict requirements in terms of reliability, robustness
and long-time availability (think for example telecoms). PPC has
traditionally been the preferred platform for such systems.  For
example, only pretty recently you can find ARM vendors that guarantee
that a certain chip will be available in 10 years from now.

> explain why this is and how it works as I will need to either find an
> alternate solution or investigate implementing something similar for this
> project and would appreciate any insights.

How it works? Please see the code.

Basicly all you need is a 32 bit storage location in some register or
SRAM or similar which is guaranteed not to change it's value during a
(hard) reset of the board.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You young'uns. That was *long* before AltaVista,  DejaNews,  or  even
(gasp) the *Web*! In fact, we typed that thread on steam-powered card
punchers, and shipped it around via Pony Express.
            -- Randal Schwartz in <8cwww1cd0d.fsf at gadget.cscaper.com>