[U-Boot] U-boot SPL direct Linux boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jul 3 22:42:10 CEST 2011

Dear Simon Schwarz,

In message <BANLkTinCM+qWU_D50LJgf6Am=7GgoErh4g at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > - we should define a struct, which contains the 3 values
> >  offset, size, destination, so we can create a "nand_load_list"
> >  which can contain n entries, that could be processed in
> >  a while loop ... so no need for the CONFIG_SYS_BOOT_LINUX
> >  define ;-)
>
> I would also add some kind of CRC to check the integrity of the image?

If you add this, then please make sure to make it optional.  Keep in
mind that there are systems where the SPL code has to be really small
(like 4 or even 2 KiB).

> Another question is if we not just use the uImage format provided by
> mkImage. This IMHO should include all this (except the offset) but
> then we have to read the first NAND-page (or what ever medium) to get
> these values which presumably means a significant slow-down. But then
> we can update the image without updating u-boot what i would consider
> important for non-dev devices.

Reading an uImage and just skipping the 64 byte image header is
definitely an option.

Please keep the design simple - adding bells and whistles can be done
later, if there is room and time for it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps. The goal of nature
is to build better mice.