[U-Boot] U-boot with USB storage support for WonderMedia WM8505

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Mon Jul 4 08:11:38 CEST 2011

Le 04/07/2011 08:02, Chris Barnes a écrit :

> however I have been successful if restoring functionality to my netbook.

Great!

> The working version is:
>
> U-Boot 1.1.4 (Oct  8 2010 - 10:39:28)

Not that old if you look at the date, quite old if you look at the
version number. But hey, IIAB(any more)DFI. :)

> WonderMedia Technologies, Inc.
> WMT U-Boot Version : 0.12.01.00.27
>
> So I'm pretty happy right now because U-Boot can finally access the
> internal storage.
>
> The only downside to using the internal usb storage is the usb subsystem
> in u-boot appears to be quite slow.
> The command usbinit must be called first which appears to load the
> driver, and then scan the bus for devices. Once it is done the system
> can then boot from the usb storage. It easily adds atleast 5 seconds to
> the bootup, especially if the logo is loaded from usb.

There is no loading a driver in U-Boot (the binary is self-contained),
so the slowness is probably due to the USB driver or line speed (or
both). Anyway, that'll be a problem only while you boot things via USB;
once you have R/W access to the internal storage Flash, booting from
Flash should be (hopefully) quicker.

> The next step is to load an operating system onto the internal storage.
>
> Thanks for your help.

You did all the hard work, just thank yourself. :)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.