[U-Boot] sending updated patch versions

Holger Brunck holger.brunck at keymile.com
Mon Jul 4 17:25:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 07/04/2011 05:05 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <4E119D36.7040900 at keymile.com> you wrote:
>>
>> and I wonder if it is needed to update the history of *all* patches in a serie
>> even if for different specific patches nothing was changed. Or if it sufficient
>> if only the subject indicates the version number for such patches.
>
> If you keep the threading of the messages intact (i. e. supply proper
> inserting the message ID when "git send-email" asks for the
> "Message-ID to be used as In-Reply-To for the first email"), then
> there is usually no need to resend unchanged patces at all - what for?
> It would be just a waste of effort and bandwidth.

yes I agree and thats why I am asking. Ah ok, yes I have seen the message from
git send-email but wasn't sure how to use this.

So if I get a request to update 4/5 from a already posted patch serie which
message id I have to enter for "In-Reply-To for the first email"? I assume I
have to use the message id from the initial 4/5 Patch Email which has hit the
mailing list or?

>> E.g patch serie where only 1 patch has changes requested, do I need to update
>> all other patches with the history:
>>
>> "Changes for v2: - nothing"
>
> No. Please don't repost the unchanged patches at all. Repost just the
> one that you modified.

yes this sounds reasonable and is also less work for the sender.

Best regards
Holger Brunck