[U-Boot] cpu/arm926ejs/start.S question

Andre Renaud andre at bluewatersys.com
Fri Jul 8 00:40:51 CEST 2011

Hi Simon,
> We have a similar thing with Tegra, and have built something into the
> USB download script which prepends the needed data. In this case it
> needs to be signed so it isn't possible to just include it in the U-Boot
> source, anyway.
>
> I suppose
>
> cat preload.bin u-boot.bin >u-boot.out

I can't think of a particularly good reason why that wouldn't work. It
is nice to use the U-Boot build system to take care of it though, and
there is less chance of someone accidentally flashing the original
u-boot.bin, rather than u-boot.out. I also take advantage of some
information available in the linker in my 'preload.bin', (such as image
size, boot address etc...).

I guess its a question of which is less horrible - maintaining a preload
outside of u-boot, and having a build process which combines them, or
the dodgy #include that I suggested. I'm in favour of the #include,
partly because I've already done it & got it working, but also because
it makes the build system less complex, so less chance of someone making
a mistake. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I'd thought of the
preload.bin first however.

Regards,
Andre