[U-Boot] initramfs support through the initrd mechanism of u-boot

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Sat Jul 16 11:25:36 CEST 2011

Hi Thomas,

Le 15/07/2011 09:53, Cao, Da-Shi (EB-Presales-ZTE/HW-GZ) a écrit :
> Hi Albert,
> I did not know how to make a uImage of initrd. I guess u-boot does not support the gzipped cpio as an initrd. As I'm new to u-boot, so I would be glad if I can make the gzipped cpio to be acceptable by u-boot as a valid initrd.

This is something that you can probably find answers to in Denx' ELDK --
see the Denx website.

> As for the physical address, it is in the file arch/arm/mm/init.c of Linux kernel. It works when I pass a physical address of initrd to it. It seems that if the old format of initrd is passed to Linux kernel, it expects a virtual address!
>
> I can either change the init.c of Linux kernel to expect a virtual address, or change the u-boot to give a physical address. It is more dependable to make u-boot send out a physical address, as the virtual address of u-boot may not be the virtual address of the Linux kernel, although it is now identical for current moment.

I am surprised that U-Boot provides a virtual address. If you are sure
that it does -- i.e. if you have traced the current (git u-boot/master)
U-Boot code and made sure that the address passed is not correct as a
physical address and is correct as a virtual one, then please open a new
discussion thread here with an adequate subject and mention the exact SW
and HW setup you're using, along with your observations.

> Thanks a lot.
> Thomas

Amicalement,
--