[U-Boot] i.MX51: FEC: Cache coherency problem?

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Mon Jul 18 18:16:28 CEST 2011

Hi David,

On Monday 18 July 2011 08:48 PM, David Jander wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am busy debugging a problem with the i.MX51 FEC ethernet driver, that
> stopped working after upgrading u-boot. Before the upgrade I used
> v2010.06-rc3, which worked fine.
> I gave up on trying to find the difference beween the old version and this one
> that broke it.... due to BSP issues, git bisecting seems a monumental task I
> am not considering yet.
> The funny part is that it seems to work fine if I disable data-caches!
> With data caches enabled, it hangs in the following while loop in fec_send(),
> at line 592:

> 584         /*
> 585          * Enable SmartDMA transmit task
> 586          */
> 587         fec_tx_task_enable(fec);
> 588
> 589         /*
> 590          * wait until frame is sent .
> 591          */
> 592         while (readw(&fec->tbd_base[fec->tbd_index].status)&  FEC_TBD_READY) {
> 593                 udelay(1);
> 594         }
>
> If I change this code in the following way, the while loop exits successfully:

> 584         /*
> 585          * Enable SmartDMA transmit task
> 586          */
> 587         flush_cache(&fec->tbd_base[fec->tbd_index], 4);
> 588         fec_tx_task_enable(fec);
> 589         flash_dcache_all();
> 590
> 591         /*
> 592          * wait until frame is sent .
> 593          */
> 594         while (readw(&fec->tbd_base[fec->tbd_index].status)&  FEC_TBD_READY) {
> 595                 udelay(1);
> 596         }
>
> Notice the cache flush calls at line 587 and 589. With these, sending
> succeeds. The driver still hangs in receiving afterwards, but at least this
> part seems to work. If I remove either of the two added lines, it stops
> working again.
>
> What is going on here? Why did this work with caches enabled before??

Are you sure caches were enabled before? Until recently absence of
CONFIG_SYS_DCACHE_OFF did not mean that your D-cache is enabled because
you also had to call the function dcache_enable(). Some platforms were
calling this from board file or some drivers but not all.

The following patch changed this for ARM:

commit c2dd0d45540397704de9b13287417d21049d34c6
armv7: integrate cache maintenance support

In this patch I added a call to dcache_enable() at the beginning of
board_init_r() for ARM(i.e. as soon as relocation is over). As a result
D-cache will be enabled for all ARM platforms now unless
CONFIG_SYS_DCACHE_OFF is set.

Looks like this is a real coherency issue that is brought out because
d-cache is really enabled for you now.

best regards,
Aneesh