[U-Boot] Environment "image" tool

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Mon Jul 18 19:47:51 CEST 2011

On 07/18/2011 10:38 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 19:18, Alessio Sangalli wrote:
>> Hi, is there a tool to create an "environemnt image" that I can flash to
>> my NAND?
>
> tools/envcrc will output the binary env blob if you give it the
> --binary option.  but it does not take arbitrary env inputs.
> ./tools/envcrc --binary > env.bin

In the meanwhile I've written my own utility, but I do not understand
the "it does not take arbitrary env inputs".

> sounds like it might be a useful addition to tools/envcrc

I could not find it so I rewrote such functionality. If you want, I
could extract the relevant part of the code and send it to you. It's
quite trivial once I figured out how the U-Boot environment works.

>> Alternatively, is there a description of how the environment is read, my
>> U-Boot, so that I can write my own program to create such image?
>
> <4 byte crc><var=value>\0[<var=value>\0]...\0

Yes, and the environment has a size specified by ENV_SIZE

bye
as