[U-Boot] i.MX51: FEC: Cache coherency problem?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 19 13:19:09 CEST 2011

Dear =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Matthias_Wei=DFer?=,

In message <4E256588.4010301 at arcor.de> you wrote:

> Is this really a good idea? This will break a couple of boards using
> non-cache-aware drivers. And there are a couple of them in u-boot. I
> think d-cache should be opt-in rather then opt-out as long as there are
> any drivers which didn't handle cached memory regions correct. i-cache
> is much less problematic and can be enabled by default.

If we do this, then everybody will just be lazy, and nothing will ever
change.

The lesson we learned (a number of times) is that people only start
moving when it really hurts, i. e. when things really break for them.
I don't like that, but if it's the only way to make any progress then
so be it.

> If d-cache will be enabled by default on ARM I think I have to send a
> patch for one of my boards :-)

Why don't you just help identifying and fixing the problems in the
misbehaving drivers?!?

That would be a _much_ more helpful approach.

Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means. It means we get
to keep all our old mistakes." - Dennie van Tassel