[U-Boot] i.MX51: FEC: Cache coherency problem?

J. William Campbell jwilliamcampbell at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 16:36:32 CEST 2011

On 7/19/2011 2:05 AM, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:

>>> So, you say actually what I did while exploring the problem would have
>>> been a
>>> correct way of solving this problem?
>>>
>>> Like this:
>>>
>>> 587 flush_cache(&fec->tbd_base[fec->tbd_index], 4);
>> This is what is needed assuming the below is initiating a memory to
>> peripheral DMA. Is your buffer only 4 bytes long?
> Generally:
>
> - for sending data through a device that has its own, external, DMA
> engine, you'll obviously need to flush the data buffer(s) but also any
> DMA descriptors used by the engine, before you start the engine;
>
> - for rceiving, if you have to set up receive descriptors, you must
> flush that before telling the device to enter receive mode (so that the
> device reads the descriptors as you wrote them), and you should
> invalidate the receive buffers at the latest when the device signals
> that data has been received,
Hi All,

>   or preferably long before (at the same time
> you flushed the read descriptor, so that cache-related actions are
> grouped in the same place in the code).
I think this last statement is incorrect. You should invalidate the
cache for the receive buffers just before you intend to reference them.
If you do it right after receive mode is entered, subsequent access to
items NEAR the receive buffer may reload the cache with receive buffer
data before the dma is done, re-creating the problem you are trying to
avoid. Also, I don't know if ARM cache is write-back or write -thru, but
if it is write-back, the only way to avoid problems is to allocate the
receive buffers on cache line boundaries, so no "nearby" writes can
cause something in the DMA buffer to be corrupted. If all receive
buffers are allocated on cache-line boundaries (both start and end of
each buffer), you can invalidate the cache "early" under the assumption
that there will be no read accesses to the read buffers themselves until
after DMA is complete. IMHO it is better, even in this case., to
invalidate cache after dma is done but before referencing the read data.

Best Regards,
Bill Campbell