[U-Boot] SPL framework re-design

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 16 23:47:04 CEST 2011

Dear Daniel Schwierzeck,

In message <BANLkTim9AE2aszKLiDH53vd+Hjpz7GVoNA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The relocate_code and board_init_r functions must not be compiled,
> they are not needed anyway. This
> can be simply controlled with -DCONFIG_UBOOT_SPL_BUILD.

This is very much wrong.  In the general case, you still need
relocation (because the final start address of the U-Boot code canonly
be determined at runtime), and you definitely need the code in
board_init_r().

> >> available in media specific directories such as nand_spl/ and mmc_spl/.
> >> Symbolic links?
> >
> > No.  Let's put this stuff into  spl/common/
>
> To use the spl directory as remote build directory, the obj and src variables
> must be tweaked a little. To keep this changes minimal, it is not possible to
> have further source files and directories inside the spl directory. I suggest to
> put common spl code in TOPDIR/lib/spl/common, TOPDIR/lib/spl/nand and so on.

No.  All SPL related stuff should go into spl/

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There is nothing in this world constant but inconstancy.      - Swift