[U-Boot] [RFC] Review of U-Boot timer API

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 25 07:28:36 CEST 2011

Dear "J. William Campbell",

In message <4DDC6F46.4090809 at comcast.net> you wrote:

>         Well, it is not quite that simple. The "accuracy" of the 1 ms
> interrupt rate is controlled in all cases I know about by the resolution
> of the programmable divider used to produce it. It appears that the x86

I mentioned a couple of times before that accuracy has never been a
design criterion.  Please also keep in mind that there are areas in
the code where we block interrupts, and we make zero efforts to detect
or compensate for this in the timer code.  This simply is not
important.  We are not talking about ppm here, we are talking about
somting that is just good enough for what it is being used, and that
allows easily for +/- 10% tolerances.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the Phone Company."