[U-Boot] I2C: OMAP: spurious i2c probe addresses

Nick Thompson nick.thompson at ge.com
Thu May 26 14:35:16 CEST 2011

On 26/05/11 12:38, Michael Jones wrote:
> On 05/26/2011 11:23 AM, Nick Thompson wrote:

>>> Sorry- relevant point here: I have a device with a 2-byte subaddress,
>>> which I suspect is the culprit here.  As Nick mentioned in his commit
>>> message, such devices are unsupported by the current OMAP i2c driver.
>>> I'm in the process of adding support for 2-byte subaddresses to the
>>> driver.  In light of the above, I now realize that such changes will
>>> probably have to involve i2c_probe() as well.
>>>
>>> -Michael
>>

> Hi Nick,
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> What do you mean by sub-address? The address within the device or an
>> extended chip address?
>
> I mean the address within the device.
>

>> The change I made aborts the write after sending the 7 bit chip
>> address and 1 write bit, so a device's internal address shouldn't be
>> relevant.
>
> Mmm, OK.  I only jumped to that conclusion because your comment in the
> commit message mentions that the driver only supports devices with
> single-byte subaddresses.

That appears to true. The Davinci driver supports two byte addresses. You
might be able to use that as a template for your changes.

>> Extended chip addressing devices would not be supported as it stands.
>> I can imagine NACK may not be occur for a device waiting for more
>> chip address bits, though I would have thought it wouldn't drive the bus
>> low until the full address is received.
>
> Curious.  It sounds like you would've expected it to work with my device.

Yes.

I've made a similar change to Davinci's probe and it works with a 25x256
(Spansion) device (and more stubborn Analog Devices DACs and ADCs, as well
as temperature and current sensors). The probe always returns the same
results, much like our OMAP boards.

>> Can you tell us what device this is? Even better a link to the data
>> sheet.
>
> It's a 128 Kbit EEPROM.
> http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATASHEET/CD00259167.pdf
>

>> Does your bus have only one master (the OMAP)? There could be an issue
>> if bus arbitration failures occur.
>
> OMAP is the only master.

Okay.

>> I guess your bus pull-ups are strong enough to assert the NAK...?
>> If not, you probably you would have seen other issues before now.
>
> Right- I assume this is not the problem because I haven't had other
> issues before now.

Hmm, I'm a bit stumped then. I'm still playing with I2C on Davinci,
so more ideas may come out of that.

The bus pull-ups on our boards are 2k-ohm to 3v3 rail, if it helps.

>> Nick.
>
> I am going to focus on getting proper reads and writes working
> with my device before looking into this myself.  If you have
> suggestions in the meantime, I'm all ears.  Otherwise I'll be
> in touch when I get around to looking at probe again.

Okay, let me know how you get on.

> -Michael

Nick.