[U-Boot] Help with exporting memory power management info in u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 30 13:01:57 CEST 2011

Dear Ankita Garg,

In message <20110530102030.GD18375 at in.ibm.com> you wrote:

> I agree with the above. Its not the power consumed by u-boot that is of
> concern. We want u-boot support in exporting additional information to
> the kernel, regarding the memory hardware characteristics specific to
> power management. For instance, if u-boot could inform the kernel about
> the boundaries at which PASR is supported on the underlying platform,
> that information could then be used by the kernel to exploit this
> feature. Like, this information would be encapsulated in a device-tree
> node maybe ?

I agree that is is a good idea to encode such information in the
device tree.  U-Boot can also help to update memory related notes in
the device tree, for example by inserting their actual physical
addresses and sizes.

The rest, including information about memory power management
properties of such nodes in the device tree, is of no concern to
U-Boot and should just be passed on unchanged.

In my opinion it is therefore the responsibility of the creator of
the device tree to provide a proper description of the hardware,
including the memory power management information.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Democracy is mob rule, but with income taxes.