[U-Boot] u-boot master on a pandaboard won't boot

Lalancette, Christopher clalancette at irobot.com
Wed Nov 2 14:03:02 CET 2011

Hello,
     I've recently been playing around with u-boot on a pandaboard Rev A1.  The rest of my environment is an MLO built from x-loader git hash c4289f1bee035dea41536c5ba5e1bc36c7d493c4, and booting an ubuntu 11.04 kernel 2.6.38-1208-omap4.  Up until tag v2011.06, u-boot works flawlessly (as far as I've tested) on this combination.  However, if I take any u-boot release after that, including v2011.09 and u-boot git head, u-boot hangs very early on:

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.1 (Nov  2 2011 - 08:55:25)
Reading boot sector

And the status LEDs blink rapidly.

I bisected the problem down to commit bcae72116257201d7288cb8c525a29aea4875b95; prior to that commit, I can successfully[1] boot u-boot on the pandaboard, but after that I cannot.

I'm going to poke at it a bit more, but does anyone have any ideas of what is going on here?

---
Chris Lalancette

[1] Well, I can at least get beyond "Loading u-boot.bin from mmc" and boot the kernel and userland.  For some reason with this setup I can't get ethernet to work, but one problem at a time.