[U-Boot] SPL support and secondary image size

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 00:27:44 CET 2011

Some more info on the out of tree NXP code...   I didn't write it, I
am just trying to get it working on a current uboot since the NXP
u-boot code is too old for ARM device tree support.

Most u-boot images are around 250KB.

lpc3130 has 96K of SRAM. The ARM ROM on the chip can IPL from six
sources: NAND, SPI, DFU USB, SD, NOR FLASH, UART. A header at the
front of the IPL image tells the ROM how much to load.

96KB is large enough to build a single SPL image that can then
continue loading from all six different sources. I have ported enough
of the code to the new SPL system to build a SPL image derived off
from the NXP code. For my application I want NAND and USB DFU. I am
testing with UART.

The secondary NXP loaders all want to know the length of what they are
the main u-boot into a single image file. They then used dd to chop it
up into the two files: u-boot-spl.bin and u-boot.bin

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com