[U-Boot] Checking validity of rootfs in NAND-Flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 4 18:51:17 CET 2011

Dear Harald.Vollmer at tieto.com,

In message <FB9EE8D3A2BCC74B808284D2CC56BC8C0A5FE514B9 at EXMB04.eu.tieto.com> you wrote:

> in my project, u-boot (2009.11) loads a large jffs2-rootfs  image (80 MB, w
> ith an attached crc32-checksum)  from SD-card into a NAND-Flash.
> To ensure the validity of the rootfs, i let u-boot then clear the RAM-part,
>  read back the rootfs from NAND into RAM, do a crc32 checksum over it and c
> ompare this
> checksum with the crc32- checksum that was attached to the image.
> This validity check takes about 70 seconds. Do you know a faster/better way
>  of checking the validity?

Please make sure your line length does not exceed some 70 characters
or so.  Thanks.

I smell this is on an ARM system? In this case you should update and
use a more recent version of U-Boot, where we have support for
caches.  This usually helps a _lot_.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It's when they say 2 + 2 = 5 that I begin to argue."    - Eric Pepke