[U-Boot] Is FT232R chip supported in U-Boot?

Mahavir Prasad er.mahavir at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:15:31 CET 2011

Hello All,

We have our new board and I am porting U-Boot on it. I am first trying to
get U-Boot's console. FT232R is populated on the board and I need to use it
for the showing the console.

I looked into u-boot/drivers/serial folder but could not find any reference
to FT232R.

Could you please let me know whether FT232R is already supported in U-Boot?

Also, in case, I need to write the driver, I would like to confirm that I
need to write following functions in my driver:

serial_init, serial_setbrg, serial_puts, serial_putc, serial_tstc,
serial_getc

I also looked into the linux driver provided at
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

However, I felt that the linux driver's approach to the UART handling is
quite different than that of U-Boot. Could you please comment on this?

Regards,
Mahavir