[U-Boot] Is FT232R chip supported in U-Boot?

Mahavir Prasad er.mahavir at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 11:51:06 CET 2011

Thanks Jonsmirl, Jen!

I revisited the schematics and saw that UART from the CPU is also going
directly to a header (besides feeding the serial lines of FT232). So, first
I should program the CPU's UART and get output on the header. I will worry
about the FT232 later on. Hopefully, it will just work automatically
because the same UART is feeding the FT232 also.

Regards,
Mahavir

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com>wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Mahavir Prasad <er.mahavir at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We have our new board and I am porting U-Boot on it. I am first trying to
> get U-Boot's console. FT232R is populated on the board and I need to use
it
> for the showing the console.

If the ft232 is attached to the CPU's console serial port you don't
need to do anything to it (make sure it has power and it is wired
correctly) and it will work automatically assuming you program the
CPU's serial port to work. Just plug the USB end of the cable into a
PC and use a terminal emulation program.  You need to match up the
baud rates.

If it is attached the other direction - USB hooked to the CPU, then
you will need to use a JTAG until you can get the USB subsystem
running in u-boot.

Either way getting a JTAG going first will make like easier at the lowest
level.