[U-Boot] arm mach-types.h

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 01:32:03 CET 2011

> Hi,
>
> Does u-boot always follow the mach-types.h from upstream linux? Is there
> any policy?

Yes it does follow it.

> If thats true, it means, that
>  - every supported board in u-boot has to be supported in mainline linux,
>    too. because that is the basic requirement for an entry to stay in this
>    file.

No, you can define CONFIG_MACH_TYPE MACH_TYPE_SOMETHING and MACH_TYPE_SOMETHING
nnn in your config file.

>  - a device with device tree bindings, won't have any mach-type entry at
> all, which means, that a distribution is not able to backport a device
> support from DT form to an old-fashioned setup code (eg. support for a
> board on older linux kernels, which doesn't have ARM device tree support).

Use new kernel or use the stuff above.

> IMHO u-boot should have its own mach-types.h (maybe autogenerated, like the
> linux kernel do), just with entries for boards which are supported by
> u-boot. This way, there won't be any problems with new board support
> patches.

That would be insane due to colisions in the number assignment. See above how to
handle such trouble.

> Opinions?

I explained it twice, once in LAKML and once here.