[U-Boot] Using Micron (Numonyx) m28w640hcb with u-boot

Gudjon I. Gudjonsson gudjon at gudjon.org
Mon Nov 14 17:29:57 CET 2011

Hi Vipin

> I have had a similar problem with spear3xx board. Basically, this flash
> is write protected in hardware by default. It has to be specifically
> made writable. Please define a flag CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_PROTECTION in your
> config file.

Thanks a lot. This works like charm :)

Now I have spent the whole day on trying to mount the device from Linux as a
read/write partition but without luck.

I can mount the partition but if I try to do some writing to it I get:

Write clean marker to block at 0x00030000 failed: -30
repeated for all sector boundaries. If I reboot the device the partition is
empty.

Then I tried to use flash_eraseall but it fails as well
# flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd1
Erasing 64 Kibyte @ 0 --  0 % complete.
flash_eraseall: /dev/mtd1: MTD write failure: Read-only file system

I tried to unlock the flash (using protect off) before booting Linux but
without any success.

I can't find any configuration option related to the NOR CFI flash in the
spear3xx kernel configuration files.
Do you have any useful hint on this as well?

Regards
Gudjon