[U-Boot] Question about baud rate

djantzen djantzen at stevens.edu
Thu Nov 17 19:12:16 CET 2011

> Why doe you want to setup this parameters "from the outside"?  Really
> only the serial device used for a console needs to be setup by
> firmware.  All other serial devices should be initialized by the user
> space programs using them.

I would like my startup script to cat messages to ttyS1, as well as to
the console (ttyS0). Basically for the purpose of informing users that
the firmware cannot execute for some reason (we don't like to give
access to the console). I was trying to avoid including stty or
setserial, but if this is the accepted way to configure the serial port
it's not a big deal ;-)

>> For each of the three uarts, the device tree has the following line:
>>
>> current-speed = <0>; /* Filled in by U-Boot */
>
> Checking current U-Boot code, I believe this comment is simply wrong.
> cannot see any part in the canyonlands / or generic 4xx
> infrastructure
> that fixes up these properties.  Maybe Stefan can comment on this
> though.

Interesting...I also tried manually entering a value here, but it
didn't seem to have any effect. Maybe it just isn't used?

>> Sorry for the silly question!
>
> I don;t think its a silly question, but I also think that you do not
> need the configuration ;)
>
> Cheers
>   Detlev

Thanks for your response!