[U-Boot] Micron JS28F128J3F75 Uboot setenv problem

Jörg Spranger j.spranger at kathrein-sachsen.de
Mon Nov 21 11:16:03 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 18.11.2011 19:10, schrieb Holger Brunck:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/11/11 14:57, Spranger, Jörg wrote:
>> we have a small AT91RM9200 based board, running Linux on it and it worked fine.
>> Now we face 2 major changes:
>>
>> 1.       The strataflash JS28F128j3d75 shifted to JS28F128j3f75
>>
>> 2.       The uboot is updated from 2009.01 to 2010.09
>>
>> Now when I have a new board flashing the bootloader and make a reboot,
>> I get the warning
>> *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
>> That is ok, because in the flash on that place are only FFFFs when the flash is erased.
>> Normaly I get rid of it, when I make a setenv.
>>
>> This works with the old u-boot with both types of flash. When I take the new uboot it only
>> works with the old flash.  The curious thing is that taking the new uboot and the new flash
>> the setenv writes the variables into the flash at the right place BUT after a reboot
>> I get the same warning. Looking at the flash with md, I can see the hole environment variables
>> In place. Also the CRC is the same as when I do it with the old flash.
>>
>> It seems that there is something different when reading from the device, maybe an initilisation?
>>
>> This is the point where I have to ask the community where to look next.
>>
> we had similar problems with a Intel Strata 28F320 when updating from a v2009.08 u-boot to a recent
> version. We had to revert one commit (and still do in our local tree). See discussion:
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2011-March/088382.html
>
> Best regards
> Holger
> .

thank you for responding, yes it seems like a bug in the chip.
I took a look into the documentation from micron an I found a
hint that using the wrong command will put the chip in "F" revission to the
Read Status Register mode instaed of Array read mode in the "D" revission.

But now where can I look to find the command sequence  used by the driver?
Where can I find the initialisation sequence for the uboot flash driver?

best regards

Joerg