[U-Boot] worth submitting a patch to fix u-boot for lite 5200b?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Nov 21 20:39:24 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, Tom Rini wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  from back in april, karim yaghmour pointed out a problem related to
> > older lite5200 boards, and suggested a fix:
> >
> > http://old.nabble.com/-U-Boot---PATCH--Env.-vars-fix-for-lite5200-td31013626.html
> >
> > i checked my git clone of u-boot and it seems that the file
> > include/configs/IceCube.h still contains the original code:
> >
> > #if defined(CONFIG_SYS_LOWBOOT16)
> > #define CONFIG_ENV_ADDR         (CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_BASE + 0x00040000)
> > #endif
> > #endif  /* CONFIG_SYS_LOWBOOT */
> > #endif /* CONFIG_LITE5200B */
> >
> >  would it be proper to submit a patch to change 0x00040000 to
> > 0x00050000?  i admit i don't know enough about what else might be
> > affected or what else might also need to change, i know only that that
> > change is necessary for u-boot to run properly on that type of board.
> >
> >  thoughts?  is that an appropriate standalone patch?
>
> Well, a patch that addresses Wolfgang's comments and is git am'able
> would be a step in the right direction.

  i don't know enough about what's going on underneath to know if that
single-line patch is standalone, whether it would make logical sense
to group it with any other changes, or even if it's sufficiently
specialized that it should be user-selectable thru a config option.

  i do know that that change is sufficient for the boards we're using.
if that's sufficient to justify a patch, i can submit that to the
list.  otherwise, i'm definitely going to need some guidance from a
powerpc expert.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca