[U-Boot] [GIT PULL] Pull request: u-boot-staging

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 24 12:46:54 CET 2011

Dear Igor Grinberg,

In message <4ECDE8C3.2050508 at compulab.co.il> you wrote:

> > By that logic _all_ commits in the Linux kernel must have the SoB of
> > Linus Torvalds.  Do they?
>
> No they should not.
> As for my understanding, the delivery path ends with the repository
> from which the pull process starts.

That makes no sense either.  What about the case where the author
provides (say, for convenience) a git repository where we can pull
from, instead of applying the posting from the ML or PW?

> That is, the repository that has the *commit id* first set
> and then it is not changed, because pull requests keep the
> history intact. This is the reason, why Linus Torvalds do not
> sign each patch pulled from others with git pull.

Hm... what's the difference then between pulling from a tree or
cherry picking from it?  What about rebasing a tree?

Sorry, but all this makes not much sense to me.  No matter how you
handle it, it seems a pretty arbitrary decision to me.

And in all these cases the code is not touched any more.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Experience is what causes a person to make new  mistakes  instead  of
old ones.