[U-Boot] what to do when the uboot can not mark the phisical bad block of nand flash?

liaohengquan1986 liaohengquan1986 at 163.com
Thu Nov 24 14:36:27 CET 2011

Hi, guys                I got a problem. I move a part of source code of linux/driver/mtd/nand to the u-boot. But I found that the u-boot can not mark the phsical bad block .
                when I run nand_erase() or nand_scrub(), it return error num as below:
    linux/driver/mtd/nand/nand_base.c
    2589            chip->erase_cmd(mtd, page & chip->pagemask);     2590                 status = chip->waitfunc(mtd, chip);
    2592                 /*
    2593                 * See if operation failed and additional status checks are
    2594                 * available
    2595                 */
    2596                 if ((status & NAND_STATUS_FAIL) && (chip->errstat))
    2597                         status = chip->errstat(mtd, chip, FL_ERASING,
    2598                                                status, page);
    2600                 /* See if block erase succeeded */
    2601                 if (status & NAND_STATUS_FAIL) {
    2602                         DEBUG(MTD_DEBUG_LEVEL0, "%s: Failed erase, "
    2603                                         "page 0x%08x\n", __func__, page);
    2604                         instr->state = MTD_ERASE_FAILED;
    2605                         instr->fail_addr =
    2606                                 ((loff_t)page << chip->page_shift);
    2607                         goto erase_exit;
    2608                 }
        you can find that if block erase is failed(status==-1), it only mark the instr(we will not use the instr later), and go to the erase_exit. So there is no code to mark the oob of the phisical bad block, neither add it to the bad block table.
       so ,I add the code of writing oob of the phisical bad block when it is erased failed, such as below:
                chip->erase_cmd(mtd, page & chip->pagemask);2589

- Ignored:
[...]
                                     nand_write_oob(addr);
    2607                         goto erase_exit;
    2608                 }

       Guys, what do you think of it , and what would you to if you  got this problem.